Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Maison Mayci, Moseley, Birmingham. Bonjour!


Maison Mayci is a lovely little cafe which has recently joined Moseley high street. It is the sister establishment of the cafe on Poplar road in Kings Heath, always a favourite for those partial to a little bit of Frenchy. You're greeted by huge loaves of delicious looking bread stacked up in the window and a counter full of cakes and pastries, which make this place feel like an authentic Parisian cafe...almost, the brummie accent of the friendly waitress reminds you where you are, but we're not here for the French waitresses, we're here for the food...

The menu has many temping French inspired sandwiches, soups, and quiches all at reasonable prices, most under a fiver. Naturally I went for a sandwich, I was drawn to the croque monsieur, such a simple sandwich but done well can be a treat, the menu told me this one had crème fraiche in it which I thought would be a winner, unfortunately so had many others that day and so I was informed by said waitress that it was sold out! Not entirely sure how a cafe can sell out of cheese, ham and crème fraiche, but never mind, onwards and upwards, I opted for the chicken marinated in spinach and mustard sandwich. What a treat...all negative thoughts regarding the lack of croque monsieur vanished as I sunk my teeth into the slightly toasted brown ciabatta-esque bread and then the sublimely creamy moist filling. All the sandwiches come with a little salad and a few new potatoes which really go down a treat and for 4.50 I think it's an absolute steal! Can't wait to try everything else on the menu, especially the elusive croque monsieur...

http://www.maisonmayci.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment